Saturday, November 14, 2015

1993 to Now, Nothing's New

Friday, December 10, 1993 is the day the world was graced with my clumsy presence.
The weather in Plano was nice, 62.5 degrees F and no chance of rain in sight (Farmer's Almanac). I was born to Kellye Marie Blankenship and James David Lackland. Both were recent graduates of Lewisville High School's class of '93 which is the same high school I graduated from 18 years later in the class of 2012.
Seeing as it was a Friday, it was a great night for movie premiers including Geronimo: an American Legend, Sister Act 2- Back in the Habit and Wayne's World 2(The Numbers). The average movie ticket in December of '93 was $4.14 (NATO Online)!
 
 (YouTube)
I was also interested to see what ads would be like for something I already know I like (sorry, I read bad reviews about you, Wayne's World 2) and this Dr Pepper ad is definitely worth the laughs;
(again, YouTube)
One article that stuck out to me was an interview in Vogue with the First Lady, Hillary Clinton. (Reed, Julia 228-233).



 Barbies were a big part of my childhood and its fairly humorous to see what Barbie looked like the year I was born (Mary's Antiques).

Fashion around the time that I was born was definitely very 90s (The Vogue Archive).
Christmas Tree Brooches. You don't get much more tacky than that.

But I will say, as a makeup junkie, not much has changed in that area and I feel like the look in this Revlon ad is most definitely something that would be seen today (The Vogue Archive).
After conducting the research for this project, I do believe it's safe to say that not much has changed in these nearly 22 years, other than the fact that I've grown taller. Fashion trends come and go, entertainments fads and their obsession with sequels (and threequels) have always been a (somewhat problematic) thing and that some people just really know how to keep their name in the news (looking at you, Hill).

Farmer's Almanac. "Weather History Back to 1945 from the Farmers' Almanac." The Farmers Almanac RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2015. 
Mary's Antique's. Mary Lynn's Cyber Antiques. N.p., 02 Nov. 2015. Web. 
NATO Online. "Annual Average U.S. Ticket Price." NATO. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2015. 
The Numbers. The Numbers. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2015.
The Vogue Archive. Vogue 01 Dec. 1993: 12+. UT Dallas Library. Web. 02 Nov. 2015.
YouTube. 
 
 
As a PS!!
I fixed the alignment on everything but there was one spot (under Wayne's World 2) that didn't want to move. And I added the author's name on the Hillary article but the other sites didn't have authors listed :/ 
I think I fixed everything else you asked though!

No comments:

Post a Comment